Middle School Humanities Teacher
La Scuola International School seeks an experienced Middle School Humanities Teacher for the 2018-2019 Academic Year.
La Scuola is San Francisco’s first IB-PYP School and the first Reggio - IB Italian Immersion program in the world! La Scuola, founded in San Francisco in 2002 as La Piccola Scuola Italiana, has grown from a small playgroup of Italian-American and Italian families to a thriving international community of over 240 families from preschool through 6th grade. We are currently entering the candidacy phase for the IB MYP program as we develop our Middle School over the next three years.
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Duties of the Middle School Humanities Teacher (English and Social Studies):
Teaching and Learning:
· Plan and teach courses according to IB Middle Years Program guidelines.
· Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners, including English language learners and students with learning needs.
· Develop, enhance and document curriculum, while ensuring continued coordination and alignment within the IB Middle Years Program.
· Connect English and Individuals and Societies curricula to other subject areas in a broad multidisciplinary approach.
· Organize experiential learning opportunities as needed.
Leadership, Procedural and Administrative duties:
· Create and maintain Grade 6-8 allocated Annual English and Social Studies Budgets.
· Collect, Analyze, and Share annual student data with Pedagogical Leadership Team.
· Collaborate with Teachers in other grade levels on English and Social Studies inquiries.
· As needed, serve as a student advisor, provide scheduled supervision of students, participate in MS trips and field experiences, and engage in ongoing professional development.
Requirements of the role:
Essential Qualifications and Strengths:
· Five Years Teaching or associated experience
· Successful student leadership experience
· MA and Teaching Certificate
· Demonstrated contributions to a positive school environment
Preferred Experience and qualities:
· Knowledge of Italian language and literature, and familiarity with Italian culture
· Commitment to inquiry-based teaching and previous experience with MYP
· Proven ability to work with other teachers and administration
· High level of technology skills
· Proven record of successful teaching
· Experience in program development and assessment
· Successful experience in international schools
· Knowledge of and experience working with data to improve student-learning outcomes
· Proof of commitment to involvement in school beyond the regular teaching day
· Proven experience of contributing to extra-curricular activities and school trips
· Creative and energetic
Desired Personal Characteristics:
· Demonstrates educational leadership and is a role model to faculty and staff
· Demonstrates the ability to develop a collegial, collaborative and positive atmosphere among the faculty
· Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills
· Demonstrates excellent communication skills
· Is a lifelong learner
· Is flexible and has a sense of humor
· Commitment to putting in additional hours as needed
· Interest in living and working in San Francisco
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
La Scuola may be able to offer a teachers exchange visa for teachers with a BA in elementary education/teaching credentials in their country of origin AND a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
Prior to beginning work and as a condition of employment in order to comply with the law, all employees must provide documentation to prove eligibility to work in United States. In addition, the final candidate will need to pass Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance, a physical exam, and provide recent copy of a negative TB test/assessment and other immunization records.
Position receives full benefits, including medical and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits. Other fringe benefits include sick leave, PTO, paid holidays, vacation days, and warm lunch.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training.
To be considered for the position, please send a letter of intent, a resume and a minimum of 3 references. Click here to apply!