La Scuola Middle School students have inquisitive minds, are phenomenal collaborators and empathetic global citizens. They don't just think outside the box, they know that the box is an illusion.
We believe that La Scuola's middle school program provides students with a strong foundation for success in high school, college and life.The curriculums we have combined are proven to build critical thinking skills, creative acumen, and a global perspective through the rigor of the International Baccalaureate curriculum. We maintain our strong Reggio Emilia pedagogy in middle school, ensuring subject work is planned such that students may indulge their passion in art, music, and the garden. We believe that bi-lingual education builds empathy along with the executive function and that our students graduate as creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
We have combined the best of what is known about learning globally. The core elements include:
High Image of the Student: We assume students are capable of excellence and complexity. Our students contend with high quality literature and read scholarly research and nonfiction books that are generally considered for high school audiences. We scaffold as needed to ensure that students have the support to contend with complex writing about science, social science and literature.
A Pedagogy of Listening: The student voice continues to be key in Middle School. Students learn to develop (and answer) their own conceptual and debatable questions and after subjects are introduced by our faculty, lead their own research to find the answers and evaluate the factual nature of sources.
100 Languages: Instead of traditional testing, students show learning in a wide variety of modalities--writing essays, oral presentation, drawing, podcasting, video, dance, and action such as advocacy letters.
Focus on the Learning Environment: We place a premium on beautiful learning spaces because we believe that a beautiful place to ‘work’ inspires the student and the teacher and builds a love of learning for life. Also--in non pandemic times--consider the city part of our classroom.
Sophisticated Discussions: An example of this is our Atelier on Democracy and Culture. The Reggio pedagogy accentuates the values of citizenship in a democractic society and the significance that beauty and culture play in a fully developed life. We create space for students to bring this about in their own lives.
Our Admissions team would like to show you our beautiful campus and discuss the unique experience of our Middle School program. Click below to schedule a Tour, or view our Video 3D Tour Options
La Scoula is the only school in San Francisco accredited by the International Baccalaureate for both the Primary Years and Middle Years (MYP) Programs.
The IB- Middle Years Programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- consistently have greater success in high school and university
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens
Middle Years IB Curriculum
While our Primary Years Students’ coursework is organized in a transdisciplinary way to create connections across subjects and themes, the Middle Years Program is organized in a more traditional manner to help students make important connections between academic subjects. The eight subject groups are:
- Language Acquisition
- Language and Literature
- Individuals and Societies
- Physical and Health Education
Technology and Design at La Scuola
Our students are also given the opportunity to deepen their experience with technology across mediums to begin to become digital citizens and develop an understanding of design thinking. In Middle School Design classes, students will have the opportunity to explore the possibilities and constraints associated with designing products and systems, allowing them to find the creativity involved in prototyping, experimentation and adaptation.
- Computer Science / Programming / Code.org / Scratch
- One-to-One Chromebook Program
- Digital Atelier / Digital Media / Tinkering Atelier
So much of the La Scuola education is experiential. Our students in the middle school are given ample opportunities to put their learning to the test by venturing out into our urban campus and beyond. Annual highlight trips include:
- 6th Grade Outdoor Education Overnight Trip
- 7th Grade National Park Trip
- 8th Grade Italy Trip
Application Process for Middle School
La Scuola is enrolling 6th - 8th grade students into the Middle School Program in 2020-2021.
- Complete an Online Inquiry Form
- Register for a Middle School Tour for Parents
- Apply to La Scuola by January 15, 2020
- Parents attend a parent interview with admissions staff and/or faculty
- Applicants attend a shadow day after application has been received (current 5th - 7th graders applying to 6th - 8th grade)
- Email Admissions to arrange a shadow day for middle school applicants
- Take the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE). Middle School applicants are required to take the ISEE. Students in San Francisco can take the exam at several locations
To register for the ISEE, please visit http://www.iseetest.org or call 800-446-0320. Please have scores sent directly to La Scuola International School. The school code is 571047.