Strategic Plan: Heart & Mind
La Scuola is the only school of its kind in the world. Our program combines the richly creative and play-based aspects of Reggio, the cultural richness, and cognitive benefit imparted by the Italian language and the critical thinking and trans and inter-disciplinary approaches of the International Baccalaureate to nurture the heart, the soul, and the mind. Our goal is to continue to enrich our program with best practices from all the disciplines we employ so that our students are open to the world, inspired to create change, and able to thrive in rapidly changing global environments.
Heart & Mind Initiatives:
- Become 1st school in San Francisco to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary and Middle School Years programs
- Certify La Scuola’s program meets or exceeds the educational standards of leading associations in the United States and abroad
- Become a Scuola Parificata, an Italian school abroad
- Excellent outcomes and matriculation for the 1st graduating class
- Guide parents to understand the pedagogical journey from PYP-MYP and childhood academic and socio-emotional development
- Become the benchmark Reggio Emilia program in North America
- Enhance STEM, socioemotional learning, learning difference support and co-curricular programs like sports, arts, leadership, student life
- Invest in technology to support student/teacher collaboration, administrative management and innovate the virtual learning opportunities that arose from the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic
2019-2020 Academic Year
- Accredited by the International Baccalaureate for IB-Primary Years Program and Middle School Program in May 2020.
- 2020 8th graders matriculated at top high schools with most getting 1st choice
- Socioemotional Learning Specialists arrived on campus and made a huge impact on our students with these new initiatives:
- Early childhood Kindness curriculum, Friendship circles, Wellness Wednesdays with yoga and mindfulness practices, restorative circles, puberty and sex education workshops for students and parents, intro to the Advisory program for 4th graders, affinity groups with DEI and one on one and small group check-ins to support students.
- During COVID-19 Shelter in Place, the learning specialists rotated through K-4 morning meetings to support student discussions, held 1 on 1 advisory meetings with grades 4-8, and supported an ambassador program for new incoming students.
- Expanded Chromebook program down to 2nd grade which greatly facilitated the move to remote learning during the COVID-19 Pandemic Shelter in Place.
- Coding, math, literacy platforms, research, Google Suite were introduced as young as K-1 to develop digital literacy and responsible digital citizenship. Due to COVID-19 Shelter in Place, all faculty supported students to maintain skill development, curiosity and courage to manage a daily schedule of synchronous and asynchronous learning
- Designed science lab at Mission campus, fully implemented new Design, Math and Science courses required by the IB-Middle Years Program prior to accreditation
2018-2019 Academic Year
- La Scuola became the only International Baccalaureate- Primary Years Program school in San Francisco in 2015 and is currently the only one in the network of 5000+ IB World schools to offer a combined IB, Reggio, Italian Language Immersion program
- To continue its commitment to offering a preschool-8th grade International Baccalaureate education, La Scuola submitted its MYP candidacy and began implementation of that curriculum in the middle school
- Accredited by California Association Independent School (CAIS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and Council of International Schools (CIS) in 2019 for 7 years.
- La Scuola’s curriculum was reviewed by the Italian Education Ministry for comparability and adherence to its educational standards and was recognized as a Scuola Parificata. The Parificazione means that La Scuola students studying in America have grade recognition in Italy.
- Grade 5-8 Middle school curriculum written, faculty hired
- St. Charles school building remodeled and grade 5-8 students welcomed
- Implemented Parent Education Series to improve IB, Reggio literacy